Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Aww Hell...Brute.

All the hype surrounding the hellbrute model release and the dataslate rules got me really burning to make a hellbrute. For me when the desire to make something comes I just need to go with it, and the result is one of the quickest paint jobs I've ever done. An 8 day hellbrute.

So sure I've got no money... But what I did have was a Dark Vengeance hellbrute just begging for a lick of paint. I am very happy with the water effects slime on the tentacles, 10/10 would use again.


While I didn't manage to get too many work in progress shots on this model as I made it mostly in secret (my housemate and I are having a bit of a competition...) I did snap a couple, and once it was 'revealed' I was free to go wild with my terrible camera phone. (that turned out ok this time). Read on!...




Following roughly one of the side columns in a recent White Dwarf 'paint splatter' I decided to paint my hellbrute in the following order, skin > metal > plates > details. I have to saw it was a very rewarding way to paint, having the completed fleshtone as a solid base made it really feel like the model was making solid strides towards completion at every step.


My recipe for warpflesh is very simple, I start with Doombull brown then layer with Khorne red. Once this is done I do a rough highlight in Mephiston Red and liberally wash it with Agrax Earthshade. It is a simple scheme that I think looks effective and fits my image of what 'daemonflesh' should look like. 

This model was fantastic to paint, however it has one disappointing aspect that many snap together models share - decent sized gaps to fill. I honestly got pretty lazy, opting not to fill the gaps on one side, but the seem on his shoulders was simply too obvious, so I greenstuffed it over.

My personal favorite part of the model has to be the power fist, I love how it came out but I am also a fan of the mould itself. Those sharp clean spikes and the slight grooves in the upper plate are the little details that when painted pop out and look awesome. 


My Hellbrute shamefully showing his gaping seam.


The multimelta is a cool little piece, but I feel it appears just slightly too small compared to the other arm. I used my standard melta color distortion of brown > purple > blue here, but it didn't come out well in the picture. 

As usual - Thanks for reading, I hope you saw something you liked. An unusual straight out of the box paint job for me, but its such a unique and fantastic model I didn't feel I needed to touch it up. Next time --- The two custom chaos marines featured on my workbench post are getting painted! Until then happy painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment